Submitted by: PDG George Camp, ARPIC Zone 32
The captivating power of “TEAMWORK” in The Rotarian community!
Just as it’s one thing to join a team, but quite another to perform as a team member. To put it simply, teams (CLUBS) don’t work without teamwork.
1) Teamwork creates synergy in a club – where the sum is greater than the parts.
2) Teamwork supports a more empowered way of making a difference in your community through our Rotary Club.
3) Teamwork fosters flexibility and responsiveness to those in need in their community.
4) Teamwork pleases Rotarian volunteers who like working with good teams and like minded volunteers.
5) Teamwork promotes the sense of achievement, equity and camaraderie, essential for a motivated volunteer environment.
6) Teamwork, amongst volunteering Rotarians, when managed properly, is a better way to work toward a common Goal!
Teamwork in Rotary is generally understood as the willingness of a group of Rotarians to work together to achieve a common aim. For example in Rotary we often use the phrase:” he or she is a good team player”. This means someone has the interests of the team at heart, working for the good of the team.
Teamwork is absolutely fundamental for Rotary Clubs and Districts to work effectively. Only when the skills and strengths of individual team members are joined with shared goals, and a focus on collective performance, will you start to see the benefits of a team at work. Why does this matter? Well language can sometimes be confusing. Teamwork is perhaps more helpfully understood as only part of what’s needed to create an effective Rotary Club.
Why is this distinction so important? Because whilst you can’t have a team (Effective Rotary Club) without teamwork, you can have teamwork without being a team!
It is important to remember that;
ATTITUDES COME FROM WHAT YOU VALUE AND ARE EXPREESED IN HOW YOU BEHAVE!”
When a group of ROTARIANS work together cohesively, towards a common goal, creating a positive VOLUNTEER atmosphere, and supporting each other to combine individual strengths to enhance THE ROTARY CLUBS team performance, we can effect change in our community. That community, whether in our back yard or around the world is Rotary’s job one.
This three minute video Ohio Amish Barn Raising graphically shows the value of teamwork.